Thursday, October 25, 2007

Creating School Culture


I find this blog, even as an "outsider" to be very refreshing, and insightful. To that end, I ask for your advisement.

As I enter the second year of our school's existence, we still seem to be lacking a sense of "culture." The sense of what it means to be a student from our school (World Journalism Prep HS). Besides simply going to class, and meeting the expectations for behavior, etc., what does it mean when you say "I go to..."

The easy part, I guess, would be for us as the teachers to impose what we want upon the learning community. My want is for the learning community to step up and say "this is how we're going to do school here." How do I inspire student activism?

Any assistance that you can provide is so greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

W Brown said...

I'm wondering if all schools struggle with this especially in their first years...

I think it has to come from the teachers, administrators, and student government.

But as for how do you get everyone to focus on this? I'm not sure